In the lab
1.owledge: words and useful expressions
First of all, once, unless, cupboard electricity turn off, shut, by the side of, soap, taste, oil, mix, mixture, rather, finger, instead of, second (n) , on holiday, message, proper Allow, experiment, basin, finally, lively, sadly, request, Petrol, castor, vinegar, dip, suck
2. Moral Education: To get the students to do everything as carefully as they can.
To supply the students with a very harmonious atmosphere in order that they can have a successful understanding of the text and discussion.
Main Points: To let the students master and use freely some of the useful everyday English.
1. Here are some dos and don'ts.2. Follow the instructions.
3. What /How about when we leave?4. Make sure that ......
5. Do what he or she tells you to do.6. Please tidy the lab.
7. Could you please show me how to use the computer?
8. Don't touch anything.
1.To encourage the students to discuss and then ask them to demonstrate their ideas by using the imperative sentence structure.
2. To review and master the sentence structure of Direct and Indirect Speech.
3.once / unless / as连接的主从句
Since the dialogue and the text of this unit are about chemistry, the teacher may ask some questions about chemistry or other subjects to lead in the dialogue and then show the students the tolls that are used in the chemistry lab when the text is taught.
And also in order to make the class very lively and interesting the teacher may borrow the tubes which are filled with three kinds of liquids from the chemistry lab and ask them to guess what's in the tubes and then ask them to watch the teacher carefully then do what the teacher .
Does, which is the content of the text. In this case the students may feel very new and they may be interested in English class.
In order not to cause something dangerous to happen, the teacher may fill some white vinegar（白醋, some cooking oil(香油),some alcohol(白酒) in the tubes.
1. first of all means first. 意为首先，第一
First of all, I want to say I'm very happy to be here with You.
First of all, we must make a decision.
相关的词组：at first which is opposite to "at last " for the first time 第一次
allow + noun.
allow sb. to do / not to do sth../sb. is allowed to do
(1) He allowed no noise here.
(2) He allowed his boy to spend the weekend with his friends.
(3) Why did you allow her to smoke here?
(4) We don't allow drinking at school.
3. once 是连词，作“ 一旦……就……”讲。
(1) Once she arrives, we can start.
(2) Once you realize it, you will study hard.
(3) Once seen, it can never be forgotten.只要见过一次就难以忘怀。
4.unless是连词，相当于if …… not ……
(1) He will not come unless his homework is finished. == He will come if his homework is finished.
(2)You will be in trouble unless you follow my instruction. == You will not in trouble if you follow my instruction.
unless 和 not …until 的区别
unless 引导从句时多强调条件，而not …… until 句型则强调时间。Unless 连接的主从句的时态一般是主句是将来时而从句现在时。not …… until 连接的主从句中可以使用多种时态。
(1) You will fail in the exam unless you listen to the teacher carefully in class.
(2) We won't start until Bob comes.
(3) He didn't find out what had happened until his wife told him about it.
5. Don't touch anything unless your teacher tells you to do.
在此句末的to后省略了touch。在英语里，有些动词像hope, like, want, try, need, 助动词如be able to., be going to之后，为了避免前后重复，往往只用一个to代表动词不定式。
(1) You can go with me if you'd like to.
(2) You may stay at home if you want to.
(3) I don't want to go there, but he's going to.
6. What about when we leave?
What about ……?与How about ……?可以用来询问消息、提出建议或征询意见，其后可接名词、代词、动名词、副词（如next）和状语从句等。
(1) I'm ready. What about you?
(2) What about playing football?
(3) What about today's match?
7. make sure后跟了一个省略了that 的从句。当表示“ 弄确实、使确定”意思时， 常用在祈使句中，其后的从句里要用一般现在时。当make sure 表示“认为、确信”的意思时，其后的`从句时态可视情况而定。
(1) Make sure (that ) you come early tomorrow.
(2) Make sure ( that ) your room is clean.
(3) We made sure you were not coming today.我们认为你今天一定不来了。
8.turn off 其反义词是“turn on "
turn up (开大) 其反义词是turn down (关小)
9.at the end of / in the end
at the end of 意为“ 在……末，在……尽头”，既可以表示时间的概念也可以表示空间的概念。而in the end只能表示时间的概念,其后不能接of短语，相当于 finally, at last.
(1) At the end of this term we will have a final examination.
(2) He died in the end though the doctors tried their best.
(3) There is a hospital at the end of this road.
10. with表示“ 具有，带有 ”
(1) China is a country with a splendid culture and a long history.
(2) Mr. Smith is a man with two sons.
(3) I live in a house with two windows.
11.You must do everything as I do.
(1) State the facts as they are. 要如实地陈述事实。
(2) Why didn't you do as I asked?
(1) He doesn't speak as others do. ( 如、像 )
(2) He has a big nose like his father. 像）
(3) He works in the school as a teacher of Chinese.（作为）
12. instead of / instead
instead of 是介词短语。意思是“代替、而不是”。其后可以接动名词、不定式、介词短语和名词、代词。可放在句首或句尾使用。
(1) If you are busy, let me go instead of you.
(2) They went there on foot instead of by bus.
(3) This summer I went to Qingdao instead of going to Beijing.
(1) Parents should give their children more advice instead of money.
(2) He never studies. Instead, he plays all day long.
(3) The students didn't smile. Instead, each of them made a face.
13. taste/ smell/sound/look /feel 等感官动词的用法。其后必须加形容词。
(1) The flowers smell very nice.
(2) The old woman looked very worried.
(3) The cloth feels very soft.
(4) The food tastes so delicious that I cant wait any longer.
14. None of you watched carefully enough.
none为不定代词，意思是“ 没有一个人或物”。none 做主语指代可数名词时，其谓语动词单复数形式都可以，但是当它指代不可数名词时，其谓语动词为单数第三人称形式。none常与表示范围的of 介词短语连用并表示全部否定。
(1) None of them has / have got a bike.
(2) None of us is / are afraid of the ghosts.
(3) None of this money is mine.
(4) --- How many apples do you have?--- None.
none / no one 的比较
none 既可以指代人也可以指代物，强调数量，可以用来回答how many 开头的问句。而用法与意思基本相同的no one ( nobody) 只能指代人，它们不强调数量，可以用来回答who开头的问句。
(1) ---- How many people can you see in the picture? ----- None. (一个也没有 )
(2)---Who is in the classroom? ---- No one. (Nobody) （没有人）
15. enough 的用法
enough + noun./adj. / adv + enough
(1) Enough has been said on this subject.在这一点上说的已经够 多的了。
(2) Enough were sent to him. He no longer wanted to have such books.
(3) ---- Would you please have some more?---- No, thanks. I've had enough.
(4) I am afraid we haven't got enough time to do the work.
(5) You're old enough to learn to dress yourself.
教学设计方案 Lesson 5
Step 1. Lead in
Ask the students some questions about their subjects that are learned this term, such as:
(1) How many subjects do you learn this term ?
(2) What are they? (in order to make them review the words they learnt in the last unit.)
(3) Which subject(s) do you like best? (Which is your favorite subjects ? )
(4) What do you think of chemistry ?
(5) What do you do sometimes?
(6) Where do you do the experiments ?
(7)In the chemistry lab you have to follow the teacher 's instructions. Do you agree? So what instructions may the teacher ask you to follow ?
The students may have a discussion about it and then each group has one reporter show their group's opinion.
Step 2. Listen to the dialogue
Collect the students’ instructions and then put them on the blackboard as fast as possible.Then ask them to listen to the dialogue for the information they have not mentioned. After listening the students point out the instructions that they did not mention just now. Then the students are supposed to act out the dialogue. (group work) Four students form a group and one of them is the teacher who is supposed to tell the other three students what they must do and what they must not do when they have chemistry in the lab.
Step 3. Read the dialogue
Get the students to use the Look--speak method.They should look at their books before they speak the words. When they speak the words they should look at their partners. This method helps them remember the dialogue.
Step 4. Language points
Step 5. Language focus
Get the students to identify the different structures that are used for giving instructions. Write them on the blackboard:
Don't ……/Listen….. to/ Follow/ Do ……
Please do ……/Make sure ……/Do …… is allowed ./Don't forget to ……
Point out that " allow " is usually used in the Passive when we give instructions.
Step 6. Practice
Do Part Two of SB on page 5. Do one or two examples with the whole class, then let the students work in pairs. Finally to through the exercises with the whole class for checking/extra practice. If possible let the students put forward some other instructions by giving them some other situations, such as, what you must do and must not do when you are in the hospital /library / reading room park, etc. Give some group the same task and others different tasks .Then let them show the result of their discussion.
Step 7. Homework
Finish off the workbook exercised
Review the text .
Step1. Revision the instructions for the chemistry lab
Ask the students to review what they must do and must not do when they are having class in the chemistry lab by using the “dos and don’ts”. Such as : Don’t touch anything unless the teacher tells you to do.
Ask the students the question in order to lead in the new text.
(1) Do you like your teachers?
(2) Which teacher has impressed you most?
(3) Could you tell us something about the teacher who you like best ?
(4) What kind of teacher do you like best ?( What kind of teacher do you want ? )
Then after the students’ free talk begin the new lesson by saying “today we are going to read a story about a very interesting chemistry teacher.”
Step 3. Preparation for reading
The teacher shows the students three tubes of liquid---one is filled with white vinegar（白醋）, one with alcohol（白酒）, and the other one is filled with cooking oil（香油）.Then ask them to come to the front to taste each of the liquid in order to lead in the reading. The student who tastes the liquid must make a face after tasting because of the different taste of the liquid. Then ask all the students to watch the teacher carefully who does as the teacher in the text does. Then tell the students that the liquid is very delicious. Ask them why the teacher doesn’t make a face.
Step 4. Reading
1.Ask the students to read the text and then try to find out the following answers :
2.For the second reading the students are supposed to do the reading comprehension exercises.
(1) What does” taste”mean in paragraph 4?
A. be able to tell the difference between several things and through trying.
B. eat something
C. drink something
(2) Paul can’t forget his first chemistry teacher because .
A. The teacher was strict and kind
B. the teacher was humorous (幽默的)
C. the teacher taught him something useful in the first lesson
D. The teacher was a little man with thick glasses
(3) Before the teacher mixed the three kinds of liquids, he told the students to.
A. Watch carefully
B tell the names of the liquids
C be silent and listen to him carefully
D take out a notebook and write everything he would do
(4) How many fingers did the teacher use during the whole experiments?
(5) From the teacher’s smile, the students thought the mixture must taste.
A. Good B. Bad C. Bitter D. terrible
(6) what kind of teacher is he?
A. Excellent at teaching
D. ordinary looking
(7) Why did the teacher ask the students to watch for the Second time?
A .He wanted the students to see what he would mix.
B. He wanted the students to see that he used different fingers
C. He wanted to have the students’ attention
D. He wanted the students to learn how to do experiments
(8) What does the sentence “ You must do everything as I do “ mean in paragraph 3 ?
A. You should follow me, please.
B You must do everything in the whole process（过程）of the experiment.
C You should do everything yourselves
D You should only do something.
(9) What did the teacher give to the students in the first lesson?
A. some knowledge on chemistry
B. some knowledge on experiment
C. instruction in mixing liquids
D. instruction in the right way to learn science.
(10) How did Paul think of this teacher ?
A. Disliked the teacher
B. respected（尊敬）and liked him
C. liked the teacher because the teacher looked interesting
D. liked the teacher because the teacher is a chemistry teacher and he likes chemistry very much.
Key: 1. B 2. C 3. A 4. D 5. A 6. B 7. B 8.A 9.D 10. B
Step 5. Retelling the text
Ask the students to retell the text first in pairs then individually.
Step 6. Language points.
Step 7. Homework
Finish the exercises of the workbook.
Retell the story.
Step 1. Checking the retelling and the exercises of the workbook.
Step 2. Presentation
Show the students some instructions.
(1) Open the door.(2) Close the windows.(3) Sit down.
Ask them whether these instructions are polite enough. Then ask them to make these instructions more polite. They can use the following expressions:
Could you please ┉ ?
Please do ┉ .
Can you do ┉ ?
Draw a conclusion:
The first way of asking others to do something is called “ORDER” which is not very polite enough. And the second way is called RREQUEST” which is more polite than the first one.
Step 3. Practice
1. Do the exercises of their workbook on page 64. Exercise one.
2. The students are supposed to put some orders into requests.
(1) Put all the plates in that cupboard.
(2) Shut the door and the windows.
(3) Don’t do the experiments in the classrooms.
(4) Don’t eat something before you sleep.
(5) Watch TV plays after you finish your homework.
Step 4. Language focus
Ask one of the students to stand up. And then ask the others answer the question: What did I tell him? Then help the students to say in this way: You told him to stand up.
Tell somebody to do something
Tell somebody not to do something
Ask somebody to do something
Ask somebody not to do something
The first two are not so polite as the second two. Give the students some more examples:
(1) The teacher says to the students, “ Follow my instructions.”
The teacher asks the students to follow her instructions.
(2) Mary says to John, “ Don’t lock the door before turning off the lights.”
Mary asks John not to lock the door before turning off the lights.
Step 5. Practice
Do the exercise of their workbook on page 64. Exercise 2 and on page 66 exercise 2.
Step 6. Pair work for practice. Do the practice on page 7 part 3 orally.
Step 7. Homework
Finish the exercises of their workbook.
Step 1.Check their homework
Step 2. Listening
Ask the students to look through the instructions of listening task of their workbook on page 128.Then ask them to listen to the passage twice. At last check their answers.
Step 3. Preparation for writing
SB Lesson 8. Go through the instructions with the students and make sure that they know what to do. The teacher may wish to do the first two sentences orally with the whole class before they begin writing. Write the answers on the blackboard as a model.
Step 4. Fill in the blanks with the proper words.
Students are supposed to fill in the blanks with the proper words first. Then the teacher may check the answers with the whole class.
Step 5. Writing
Give the students a situation for writing.
Your parents are going to Shanghai for business. They leave you a massage that tells you what you should do and not do while they are away. Ask them to discuss about it first and then begin writing.
Step 6. Exchange their passages and then ask them to correct each other’s mistakes.
After this task the teacher may choose some of the good ones to read in front of the whole class.
Step 7.Do the exercises of their workbook.
Step 8. Homework
Finish all the exercises of the workbook.
Give some examples
After finished the whole dialogue, we know we are allowed to touch something in the lab, instead of forbid. In our life, for example, we can't allow to cross the street when the light is red. In theater. We don't allow to make a noise. So the Ss give some examples what conditions aren't allowed to do in our life
【In the lab】相关文章：