单词： 理解、内化、运用以下生词：seismograph; iceberg; King Tut; // roar; fright; crack; // bookworm; couch potato; workaholic;// Buddha; agent等，扫除听读障碍，重点掌握一些传神动词：advance; seize; sweep; swallow; drag; pull; flow; shake; strike; struggle等。
词组：get on one's feet; tree after tree; pull oneself;
读：Scanning, skimming, careful reading, generalization; inference等阅读技能训练。
写：能运用First, Next, Then, Finally简要且富有逻辑地描写自己的一次难忘经历。
1、课文中出现的重点动词如：advance; seize; sweep; swallow; drag; pull; flow; shake; strike; struggle及词组：get on one's feet; tree after tree; pull oneself etc.
2、用关系代词who, that, which, whom, whose等引导的定语从句。
3、用副词First, Next, Then, Finally来描述一场难忘的经历。
学生能根据图片提示，运用部分新学词汇及First, Then, Next, Finally等词和定语从句，得体而有逻辑地描述一个难忘的事件，表达情感。
学生完成围绕Unforgettable Experiences 而展开的听、说、读、写的各项任务，学会听、说、读、写的各项技能，强化"描述一个难忘的事件"的表达能力，为完成任务做好铺垫。
A. Warming up
Task 1. Match competition (group work)
Match Column B with Column A correctly
Question: Why do you think so ?
Task 2: Look at the following pictures, and find out the answers to the questions:
1) Do you know who or what they are ?
2) What made them unforgettable?
3) Can you describe each picture using one sentence( with the help of the words under the picture)
Task 3: Let the students describe each picture with Attributive Clause.
e.g: Zhang Heng is the man who made the earliest seismograph in 132.
Task１: Before listening, Ss guess the possible answers to the following questions according to the situation: (group work)
1) When did the earthquake happen?
2) Where was the man driving when it happened?
3) What was he going to do?
Listening (part 1)
Task 1: Listen to the tape for the first time and get the correct answers to the above questions.
Task 2: Listen to the tape again and put the following into the right order.
( ) 1. I stopped the car and at the same time the road fell onto the cars in front of me.
( ) 2. I was hungry so I started to eat one.
( ) 3. I saw the cars in front of me start to move from side to side.
( ) 4. I had finished work and then gone to the Post Office.
( ) 5. I slowed down ,then my car started to shake.
( ) 6. I stopped off at a shop in order to get some fresh fruit.
( ) 7. I drove even slower, then the road above started to fall down.
Task 3: Ss listen to the tape once again, then try to retell the story simply, using their own words.
Task 4 : Discussion (Group work)
What would happen to Hank Stram finally?
Listening (Part 2)
Task1: Listen to the second part for the first time and choose the best answer.
1. Which part of his body hurt badly?( C )
A. The bottom parts of his legs
B. The bottom parts of his hands.
C. The bottom parts of his legs and feet.
2. What could he hear below him?( B )
A. Nothing B. Shouts and noise C. The noise of cars
3. How long had he been in the car?( A)
A.14 hours B. 40 hours C.4 hours
Task 2: Listen to the tape again to write the words in the space.
1. I ________ myself in the dark.
2. Then I remembered what______.
3. It was clear to me now that I ______ in an earthquake.
4. Then I ________ people________ towards me.
5. A team of people______ to see if anyone _____ under the broken road.
What made him survive in such a terrible accident?。
Task 1. Revision.
1. Do you remember the person who was caught in an earthquake?
2. What happened to him in the earthquake?-----His legs were broken.
3. What difficulties does he have now in his life?
4. If you are his friend, how will you encourage him and what advice would you offer?
e.g Don't worry/ Don't be afraid/ It will be OK/ You can do it/ Come on/ Keep trying?.
Task 2 Make up a dialogue (pair work)
Make up a dialogue according to the situation
A is having some difficulty in learning English,
B is helping him.
Task 1: Learn the dialogue
1. Read the dialogue.
2. Find out all the expressions about offering help, encouraging others and giving advice (Well done/ Just try/ That was a very good ball.)
Task 2: Mechanical Practice( pair work)
1.Read after the tape.
2.Act it out.
Task 3 Drill
The teacher presents three situations, and let some students act as Mother to encourage her child, using the above useful expressions.
Picture 1: A little child is learning to walk, his mother is ahead of him.
Picture 2: A schoolgirl is disappointed because she failed to pass the exam.
Picture 3: A young boy is very sad at his dead pet.
Task 1: Make dialogues according to the following situations (pair work):
Situation 1: You have just been saved from a terrible earthquake and you are worrying about your family.
Situation 2: Your neighbour will take care of your pet while your are on holiday.
Situation 3: Your house is on fire, but there is a little girl sleeping in bed on the second floor.
Four students act as psychologists. They are good at dealing with the problems on life and study, such as having sports, making friends, getting along with parents and keeping healthy. Let students speak out freely and ask one of them to give them some advice.
Task 3. Homework:
Collect the information about natural disasters and describe them. (work in group of four)
1) Before she could move, she heard a great noise, which grew to a terrible roar.
2) She looked at Jeff who waved his arms.
3) There she saw big mass of water that was quickly advancing towards her.
4) Flora, whose beautiful hair and dress were all cold and wet, started crying.
A. Warming up
Task 1： Report (group leaders report their research voluntarily)
Task 2. Describing unreal experiences.(pair work)
What would you do in the following situations?
You're in the classroom
You're sleeping in your bedroom
You're riding a bicycle on the road.
You're shopping in a supermarket.
What would you do?
Task : Look and guess
1. What can you see in the picture?
2. What happened to them finally?
3. What words will you use to describe this disaster?
e.g : scare, mass of water, sweep, struggle, swallow, frightened, flow, etc.
a. Fast reading
Question 1. What natural disaster did Flora and Jeff suffer? (Flood)
Question 2. What rescued them? (Chimney)
b. Careful reading
Task 1: Divide the whole passage according to the change of the places.
Para 1：In the garden
Para2：On the way to the house
Para3：Inside the house
Task 2: Imagination
Question 1：What was the house like? ( B )
A、a flat B、a house with two floors
Question 2：What words support your idea?
Task 3 :Read the passage for the second time and finish the following form
Task 4 Imagine the end of the story
c. Practice for understanding and word study
1、What does the word"there"in para.1 refer to ?
2、"However, before she could think twice, the water was upon her"
Which is Not the correct explanation to this sentence?(D)
A、She has no idea that the water came upon her so soon.
B、She had no time to think more before the water was upon her.
C、The water came upon her so soon that she had no time to think more.
D、The water came upon her so soon that she didn't think it for the second time.
3、What's the Chinese for the phrase "get on her feet"?(A)
A、双脚站立 B、爬到脚上 C、淹没脚部 D、踩到脚上
4、Which of the following statements is Not true?(D)
A、Flora was so surprised by the coming water that she couldn't do anything .
B、The garden was completely destroyed by the water.
C、Jeff and Flora were saved by holding the chimney.
D、It was Flora who first found the flood.
5、How many times did Flora fall over on her way to the house? (twice)
6. The word " after" in " Tree after tree went down, cut down by the water." has the same meaning as _________.(C)
A. We will come back after 10 o'clock.
B. He would look after my baby when I went shopping.
C. Many tourists will come to visit this temple year after year.
D. The place was named after a famous explorer Columbus.
Task 5、Retell the story according to the form
D. Post reading
Task 1: Discussion
Will the disaster change Flora and Jeff's life? How?
Task 2. Expanded reading: The Day That Changed My Generation
1. How do you understand the title?
2. Before the event the writer thought ________.
A. the world was full of wars and killings.
B. some day they would suffer a terrible war.
C. they were safe enough to lead a happy and peaceful life.
D. the world was evil.
3. We can infer from the article that __________ .
A. the young generation in the USA were lucky in the event.
B. the event changed the life of this generation completely.
C. this generation in America misses the happiness in the past.
D. this event makes the young generation strong and thoughtful
Unit ( )
这是新教材高一上第4单元的language study 部分。该部分由Word study 和Grammar 组成，形式为选词填空。要求学生对在听说课和阅读课中涉及到的重点词汇及定语从句在笔头上进一步落实。根据高一学生的认知水平及语言掌握由浅入深、从具体到抽象的原则，我们设计多种练习形式，使学生理解并掌握阅读课中的重点动词不达意在语篇中的真正含义及用法：掌握定语从句中指人、指物的关系代词的用法。
Task. Word puzzle
Find out ten words that describe the flood and fighting against the flood in the puzzle. One of them has been found out.
Task 1. Understand words in different situations
Word study about "advance"and "strike" (individual work)
Judge the different meanings of "advance"or "strike" in the following sentences:
1. The hunter advanced toward the bear carefully.
2. A month has passed but the project has not advanced.
3. He worked so well that his boss advanced him to a higher position.
4. The date of the meeting was advanced form June 10 to June 3.
5. The boy struck the pig with a stick.
6. The workers were striking for higher pay.
7. Typhoon Swan struck Hainan, killing 20 people.
8. On New Year's Eve, we waited for the clock to strike.
Task 2. Finish the exercises in the text.
Task 3. Talk about people and things using Attributive Clause
First, let students find out some words about things quickly like clock, homework, coat, chocolate, bat, flood, fire, etc from the exercise of word study and describe them as the following example: (pair work)
A clock is a machine that/ which tells time.
Second, let students find out some words about persons quickly such as teacher,
parents, doctor, mother, child, soldier and thief and describe them like this: (pair work)
A teacher is a person who/ that teachers you how to learn.
Third, finish Exercise 2 of Grammar orally. (individual work)
Task 1. Expanded reading
Read the following passage about fire and find out the Attributive Clauses in it and try to understand the use of the relative pronouns. (individual work)
The Great Fire of London that lasted four days started in the very early hours of 2nd September 1666, which destroyed over three-quarters of the old city. 100,000 people whose houses were wooden became homeless.
The fire began in the house of the King's baker in Pudding Lane. The baker, who could not put out the fire, got out through a window in the roof. A strong wind blew the fire from the baker y into a small hotel next door, which ten spread quickly into Thames Street.
The next day nearly a kilometer of the city was burning along the River Thames. Many people threw their things into the river. Many poor people whom nobody cared stayed in their houses until the last moment. The fire also destroyed many buildings which had a long history and were famous at home and abroad. The fire stopped only when the King finally ordered people to destroyed hundreds of buildings in the path of the fire.
1. Which of the following can be inferred to the main cause that made the fire spread so quickly?
A. The baker set the fire.
B. The baker's house was made of wood.
C. Wooden houses were too close to each other.
D. The wind was so strong.
2. What would the King do after the fire?
A. Kill the baker.
B. Give the homeless some money.
C. Leave London.
D. Rebuild London.
Task 2. Finish Exercise 1 of Grammar. (individual work)
Task 3. Homework
Preview the next reading material and find out the Attributive Clauses with who, whom, that, which, whose, where and compound sentences with and, but.
学生通过学习一篇四川之行的游记范文，能根据写作步骤提示，用First, Next, Then, Finally组织材料写一篇自己亲身游记（unforgettable trip），并能写出一两个含定语从句的句子。
Task 1. Warming-up
In our daily, many things are unforgettable. They are worth writing down. Students may mention: a disaster; a war; a match; a speech; a film; a famous person; a talk with somebody; a trip; etc(显示画面).
Going on a trip is really unforgettable. Have you ever been to any places of interest? Look at the pictures and guess where it is.
Beijing; *The Great Wall; *Mount Huangshan *Mountain Emei; *Hainang Seaside; etc. (Or local places of interest.)
Task 2. Read the passage: A trip to Sichuan
During the first week of May, the three boys went on a holiday to Sichuan. Read and find what made the writer unforgettable. (Buddha in Leshan; Monkeys on Mount Emei.)
Read again and complete the form:
Task-cycle： M-M-C practice
① mechanical practice
Task 1. Find out some key words in the text for the following pictures:
For example: Buddha; big; taller than; old temple; forests; beautiful; wild monkeys; exciting; not at all afraid of ; etc
② meaningful practice
Task 2. Put the key words together to make a sentence, with one or two Attributive Clause.
Students may refer to the sentences in the text or develop their own.
③ communicative practice
Task 1. Pair work: Retell the trip to Sichuan, with the help of the notes, pictures and the following:
During the first week of May I went on a holiday to Sichuan. First….Next….
The next day…Leshan
The next morning …Emei
Task 2. Write about their own trip, following the steps here.
1. First, students quickly write down 20 short sentences about their trip, with the help of questions in the text.
2. Next, students try to put the sentences in order, using "First, Next, Then, Finally"
3. Then, students write the story, using linking words and relative pronouns.
Post-task： Evaluate students writings
Task 1. Evaluate in pairs
Task 2. Evaluate in Class
Task 3. Evaluate by the teacher
Task 4. Exhibit some good writings
In the rest of our life, we still have many chances to travel. How can we make our trips unforgettable? Any advice?
Besides the tips in the text, any others?
3、按一定顺序排列，恰当使用First, Then, Next, Finally等。
Ⅰ. Multiple choice
1. - A ship makes me unforgettable after I saw a famous movie.
- Do you mean the ship, Titanic, ______ sank after hitting an iceberg?
A. who B. which C. whose D. where
2. - Do you know Zhang Heng?
- Is he the man _______ made the earliest seismograph in 132?
A. who B. he C. whose D. which
3. Flora, _______ garden was swallowed by the flood, was crying.
A. who B. that C. whose D. where
4. On the top of Leshan, there is a really big Buddha, in front ________ Wei Bin took photos of us.
A. its B. on which C. from which D. of which
5. - Three young school boys were ______ by the water when swimming on a hot afternoon!
- What a bad accident!
A. swallowed B. swept C. got D. caught
6. The lamplight ______ out through the heavy fog, which gave travelers a light of hope.
A. struggled B. dragged C. turned D. found
7. On October 17th, 1989 a strong earthquake _____ San Francisco and killed over 100 people.
A. advanced B. took place C. struck D. seized
8. Look, the baby lion, which was just born two days ago, is trying to ______ its feet.
A. get on B. get onto C. get up D. get in
9. Trees ______ badly during the terrible storm.
A. pulled B. shook C. destroyed D. flowed
10. Tree after tree was ______ by the water, which must have been three metres.
A. cut up B. cut down C. cut off D. cut in
Ⅱ. Cloze test
What an unforgettable day! At the moment Flora was so surprised at the big _11_ of water which was advancing quickly towards her in her garden that she couldn't move. Jeff rushed to seize her arm and they ran together to the house. _12 they got to the house, the waves _13_ them down twice. Jeff pulled Flora up with a lot of difficulty, _14_ onto a tree that grew against the wall. The water, _15_ was cold as ice and flowed faster than a river, was above her knees. They looked into each other's faces, _16_.
The chance of being rescued was slim. They opened the door to the hall and got the chance to climb _17_ to the second floor. The water moved up like a sea. Flora started crying. The house would fall down!
They had to find the 18_ because it would stand. Jeff looked out of the window. Tree after tree _19_. The garden was completely destroyed, swept away by the wild water. A terrible noise went through the house. Before the whole house went down in the _20_, they saw the chimney.
11. A. group B. collection C. mass D. crowd
12. A. Before B. After C. Until D. Once
13. A. cut B. swept C. pulled D. went
14. A. cracking B. flowing C. holding D. catching
15. A. which B. it C. that D. where
16. A. frightened B. surprised C. relieved(松口气) D. excited
17. A. downstairs B. upstairs C. above D. under
18. A. tree B. hall C. tower D. chimney
19. A. swept away B. swallowed C. went down D. pulled down
20. A. storm B. flood C. earthquake D. fire
Ⅲ. Translation. Put the Chinese into English to complete the following sentences.
21. The climate ___________________________(全球的科学家们在担心的) is becoming warmer and warmer.
22. We feel as if the earth were in the greenhouse ______________________(由玻璃做成的).
23. The scientist ___________________________(他的研究是关于温室气体的) is doing an experiment.
24. We find it hard to find an interesting place__________________________(那里天气不
会太热的) in Africa.
25. People ______________________(生活在沙漠地区的)lead a hard life.
26. Pollution, _______________________(给人类带来重大灾难的), is said to be one of the main causes of global warming.
21. (that/which) scientists all over the world are worrying about
22. that/which is made of glass
23. whose research is about greenhouse gases
24. where it is not too hot
25. who live in the desert
26. which brings man terrible disasters
3、按一定顺序排列，恰当使用First, Then, Next, Finally等。