Saving the earth
Teaching aims and demands
damage, waste, pollute, fit, room, turn---into, cattle, cause, limit, in place, blow away, sight, present, pour, die out, in danger, no more than, purpose, go off, measure, point to, joy
What was the conference like? (What do you think of /about ---? How do you like ---? How about ---?)
It’s a good idea. (I agree with you. That’s quite true. )
We’ve got to do something about pollution.
What else did you hear about at the meeting?
If ---, ----.
3) Useful phases
It was called ---.
That’s a problem we Chinese must pay special attention to.
It won’t be fit for us to live in.
Many of the injured lost their sight.
A lot of disease are present in the water.
The waters of this great lake.
In 1989 an oil tanker hit a rock off the northwest coast of Alaska.
The most important one is the part that humans have played.
First, ---. Second, ----.
In all there are probably no more than a total of 400 tigers left in China.
Last Monday our class went on an organized trip to a forest to study the wildlife.
He was busy measuring a plant and taking photographs of it.
To my great joy, ---.
The Past Particle as Predicative and Attribute
1．通过课文的学习，使得学生深层地了解地球环保这一重要主题, 让他们懂得地球环保不是一个和几个方面的事情, 而是随时随地, 方方面面, 彼此互相联系和沟通,并且影响着我们人类的生活的大问题。
Lesson 34：学生扮演新闻记者采访土壤沙化的当地的居民,印度的受伤的病人, 国家的环保机关的负责人询问有关课文的信息。另外可以让学生扮演俄罗斯的环保专家。
从本单元的对话来看，主要是学习如何用英语表达出自己的观点和看法, 是同意还是不同意。如同意对方的观点: I think so. I agree completely. I’m with you. That’s a good idea---. I think it is great. 如果不同意: I don't know about that. I don’t think so. Sorry, but I disagree. I know what you mean, but don’t you think ---. I see your point, but I think ---. You’re right, but I think---.
同时注重 damage, pollute, desert, in place, limit, fit, present, pour, die out, measure, go off, point to, to one’s joy 等重点词汇和短语在本单元中学习，本单元中的阅读课主要内容是通过列举如:人为污染地球的土地,空气和水资源以及自然界对人类的报复; 动物界遭到人类的侵害,造成了生态不平衡等事例, 而达到警醒同学和世人,让同学们从小就培养一种环保意识, 维护环境生态的平衡。同时在这里运用了重点语法知识，Past Particle形式充当表语和定语的用法。
1. It was called “Saving the earth” and it was all about the damage that is being caused to the world.
1) It was called(believed, thought, considered, known, said ---) that --- 可以看成是主语从句，真正的主语后致，it是形式主语。可以翻译成：据说---, 据认为---。
It is believed that the troops have already crossed the border.
It is known that he is honest.( He is known to be honest.)
n. (不可数) 损坏，损害
The earthquake caused great damage.
When she sees the damage that you have done she will be mad.
A heavy rain came down and damaged the crops. 一场大雨突至，损坏了庄稼。
Her heart was slightly damaged as a result of her long illness.她长时间的'疾病造成了她的心脏受到了轻微的损害。
2. We listen to lectures about pollution, agriculture, nuclear waste, radiation and so on.
1) Mother told me not to waste money. 母亲不让我乱花钱。
2) Don’t waste time playing computer plays.不要浪费时间打电脑游戏。
waste something on something/in doing something 用法与spend类似，可以让学生记成“双费（浪费和花费）”。
n. (通常不可数) 浪费, 废物
1） This waste of good food should not be allowed. 浪费食物是不允许的。
2） Where do you put your kitchen waste? 你把厨房的废物放在哪里？
3) It’s a waste of money to buy the book. 买那本书是浪费金钱。
a waste of time/money/energy是固定表达，同a wonderful education类似。
3. It won’t be fit for us to live in.
adj. 适合于---的。 be fit for something:适合某事
1) He isn’t fit for the job. 他不适宜此工作。
2) These shoes are not fit for me. 这些鞋不适合我。
3) The house isn’t fit for you to live in. 这间房子不适合你居住。
be fit for somebody to do something:某人适合做某事
4) This water is fit for drink. 这种水可以喝。
5) It’s not fit for you to talk like that.你这样谈话是不得当的。
6) Exercise keeps you fit. 体育运动使你保持健康。
vt. 对--- 适合，符合，适宜合适，强调大小、尺寸
7) This jacket fits me well. 这件夹克适合我。
8) The key doesn’t fit the lock. 钥匙与锁不符。
9) This theory fits facts. 这条理论适合实际。
10) The shoes fit perfectly. 这双鞋不合适。
11) He doesn’t fit into the team. 他不宜在队中。
fit somebody to do something/fit somebody for something:使某人适合做某事
12）Vocational training will fit them for a good job.
Vocational training will fit them to get a good job. 职业的培训使他们能找到一个好工作。
12) We fitted a new lock on the door. 我们给门安上了一个新锁。
The color of the cloth suits a woman at my wife’s age. 这块布料的颜色适合我妻子年龄的妇女。
Red and black are colors that suit me well.红和黑色对我来说非常合适。
4. The area of desert in the world is growing every year.
1) He drove a car across the desert. 他开车穿越了沙漠。
2) He deserted his family. 他抛弃了他的家庭。
3) The soldier deserted from the army. 士兵们从军队中开小差跑了。
deserted adj. 无人使用的，已废弃的
4) The railway station was deserted. 那个火车站已经废弃不用了。
5. Then one year, the rains fail to come.
fail vi. 失利，失败 fail to do something 做某事没成功
1) She failed to pass all the exams. 她考试全部失利。
fail in something 在某事上没成功
2) He failed in business. 他在事业上一败涂地。
failure n. 失败 在某一方面失利介词用常用in
3) Her failure in the exam made her cry. 在考试中的失利使她痛哭。
6. One suggested answer is for farmers to limit the numbers of their cattle.
limit vt. 限制
1) We must limit our spending. 我们必须限制我们的开销。
2) Mother limits us to eat one cake each. 母亲限制我们只能一人一块蛋糕。
3) The speed limit within the city is 35 miles per hour. 在城市里的限速是每小时35英里。
7. When trees are cut down, there is nothing to hold the soil in place on the hillside.
place in place 在原处
1) She likes everything to be in place. 她喜欢将每种东西放回原处。
2) I hope you will keep the books in place. 我希望你将书放回原处。
in place of somebody:代替某人
3) Will you go in place of me?你是否代替我去？
4) A car accident took place yesterday. 昨天发生了一起车祸。
take the place of somebody:代替某人
5) I’ll take the place of Mr. Wang. 我将代替王先生的位置。
take one’s place:接替某人
6) I’ll take Mr. Wang’s place. 我将接替王先生。
8. However, many of these are dying out.
die out vi.（火）熄灭
1) The fire died out at last. 最后火还是熄灭了。
2) This kind of bird is dying out, and we must protect them. 这种鸟类已经正在灭绝，我们应该保护他们。
9. The purpose of the trip was to record all the wildlife and plants that we could find in the forest.
Purpose n. 目的， 通常是可数名词。目的是什么 用介词for.
1) What was the purpose of his visit? 他来访的目的是什么？
2) He came to Beijing for business purpose. 他来北京是有商业目的的。
on purpose: 专门
3) I had no doubt that she did this thing on purpose. 我毫不怀疑她做这件事是有目的的。
10. In the afternoon, we all went off separately to look for new plants.
Go off 动词短语
1) She got angry and went off after she heard what I said. 听到我所说的她一生气离开了。
2) Although the clock went off, he didn’t wake up.尽管闹钟暴响， 他仍然没有起来。
3) The lights went off suddenly. 灯突然地熄灭了。
4) “The milk has gone off .” my mother said, “ and don’t drink it!” 妈妈说道：“别喝那牛奶了，它已经坏了。”
11. He was busy measuring a plant and taking photographs of it.
Be busy doing, keep busy doing sth. 忙于做某事。
We are busy making preparations for the coming exam. 我们正在忙于为即将来到的考试做准备。
measure vt. 测量
1) The policeman measured the speed of the car. 警察测量车速。
2) The room measures 6m long. 这间房子有六米长。
3) The meter is a measure of length. 米是一种计量单位。
take the measure of something:测量某物的长度
4) I take the measure of the desk following the teacher’s instructions. 我遵循老师的指令测量桌子。
5）They took a strong measure to deal with the workers.他们采取了强硬的手段来对付工人。
12. 分词作为形容词时， A. 及物动词中现在分词表示主动，和动作正在进行；过去分词表示被动或动作已完成。 B. 不及物动词中现在分词表示动作在进行，过去分词表示已完成。
There are many wounded soldiers in the battlefield.
My spoken English has greatly improved.
Don’t sit in that broken chair. It’s dangerous.
She is a leading figure in the Party.
Barking dogs seldom bite.
The risen sun, fallen leaves, retired workers, escaped prisoner , a rolling stone, boiling water, boiled water.
另外还有一些假过去分词。如 1)“adj-noun-ed” a warm-hearted man. 2) “数词-noun-ed” The one-eyed man is hiding behind the door. 3) “数词-度量衡名称” a twenty-cent book
分词作表语， 现在分词表示主动正在进行， 过去分词作表语表示被动已经完成。
The day was so charming! The news is encouraging.
The door remained locked. He seemed quite delighted at the idea. The room was packed with people.
1. Help the Ss have free talk on what the conference discussed and the opinions of Yang Pei and Jackie and at the same time present their ideas about the environmental protection through the study of the dialogue( including functional sentences study) .
2. Practise in pairs on talking about the possible results if we continue to destroy the nature around us and go against nature..
3. Study the language items in the lesson.
Step I Warming-up
1. T let the Ss look at the picture at P49 on the books, then ask them “What can you see ? ”Tell all of us as much as possible.
2. Write these words on the Bb. For example:
THE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE FOR THE ENVIRONMENT PROTECTION-SAVING THE EARTH
3. Get some good students to talk like the officials attending the conference from different countries about the problems in their separate countries. (give them a model)
1. Let the Ss listen to the tape one or twice.
2. After listening and ask students to do the pair work, just as one is Yang Pei to ask questions, the other is Jackie to answer the questions, like the following(or use the Exe1 on Page 113):
(1) What was the conference like?
(2) What did you do at the meeting?
(3) What do you talk about mainly at the conference?
(4) What do we Chinese have to do for nature?
Step Ⅲ Reading
1. Get Ss to read the dialogue again and then do Ex2 P113 SB without discussion, then check the answers.
2. Language points explanation and study, including:
1) It was called that --- 2) damage 3)waste 4) fit 5) we’ve got to ---(we have to do ---) 6) hear about 7) standing room 8) pay attention to
Step Ⅳ Practice
1. Ask Ss to try their best to give a passage using the expressions they learned as many as possible.
2. Divide the Ss into several groups which have different topics about the environment pollution. And discuss the methods to deal with these problems. (for example, one group about water pollution, one is about population etc). Everyone should take part in the discussion and show their opinions. And at last elect one representative to give and summary about their discussion.
Sentence Patterns like:1 ) Well, I think it is necessary for --- 2) I don’t agree with you. I think we need --- etc?)
2. Ask one group of the Ss to perform the discussion to the class. (if time permitting)
3. Ask one or two representatives to give their conclusion.
Step V Summary
1. Which phrase we have learnt in the dialogue can be used to show your agreements? (agree with , That’s quite right, It’s a good idea.)
2. What phrase can we use when we agree or disagree with sb. or to sth.?
1. Ex 3 on Page 113. Give several possibly-used expressions in the translation of the sentences.
2. A good preparation of key words is needed. of Lesson 34.
1.Through the study of Lesson 34 students should have a clear comprehension of the pollution.
2.Know the different kinds of pollution in different fields throughout the world and they are very serious.
3.Learn how to simply analyze the cause of something.
Step I Warm – up
1. T played a part of video film of MTV of Michael Jackson’s “Heal the world” and let students enjoy it before the class.
2. T takes a piece of world atlas and ask students point out the different countries on the map while you are giving the names of the nations. For example:
Alaska, China, India, Russia, Germany etc.
3.Write the following words on the Bb, EARTH, AIR, WATER and some numerals: 1986, 125,000, 1984, 2500, 50%, 1/4, 700, 1989, 35,000, 34,000, 10,000, 48,000 etc)
StepⅡ. Listening and Reading
1. Listen and read aloud the text after the tape. Pay attention to intonation and pronunciation. Ask Ss to try to find the correct incidents for the countries and numerals.
2. Check the Ss the reading ability.
Ask Ss to answer your questions which are on the page 114, and ask one student to give a summary for each area, that is, Earth, Air and Water.
Step Ⅲ Discussion (Group work)
1. Let the Ss have a discussion:
1) What are the causes for the pollution in these areas and who will be responsible for these following results?
2) What can we do to stop and prevent this thing happening? And can we stop this kind of thing?
Step Ⅳ Language points
1.Teacher ask Ss to write down the sentences with the P.P and check the sentences with each other (one for one sentence and not give the same one) And give some typical sentences on the slide.
2. Explain the grammar and teach students how to use it.
3. Expressions and words study, including : 1) desert 2) Cattle 3) fail 4) limit 5) in place 6) blow away 7) Time and time again 8) the injured 9) lose their sight 10) be present 11) pour into
Step Ⅴ Practise
1. Get Ss to do Ex 2 P114. Tell them to fill in the blanks without looking back at the text.
2. Ask one more Ss to retell the text with the help of the map in the front of the classroom and the numerals on the Bb ( also one student for one field or topic)
3. Divide the Ss into several groups and ask them to act like some reporters from India to interview some local people , or interview some peasants in Gebi or some Russian Officials give the talk about their pollution problem etc.
Step Ⅵ Homework
1. Match the words on Ex3 P114.
2. Make a short passage using the expressions they learned this class as many as possible.
3. Preview Lesson 35, pay attention to P.P form in the text on Page 53 “A day in the forest”.
1. Through the study of Lesson 35 students should have a clear comprehension of the close relation between the animals and human beings.
2. Learn how to write a writing whose structure is formed with some facts and their possible logical reasons .
Step I Warm - up
1. T show a picture of Tiger or movie clips of Northeastern Tiger in Northeast. Ask them some questions as follows:
(1) What are these? (2) Where can you find them? (3) Do you think it is good for them to be in the cage of the zoo? (4) Do you like the tigers in the circus?
2.Write the following words on the Bb,
FACTS: (5-10 million, one per one year, one per one day, 1/2 million )
REASONS: first, second.
StepⅡ. Listening and Reading
1. Listen and read aloud the text after the tape. Pay attention to intonation and pronunciation. Ask Ss to try to find the answers or key words for the topics on the Bb.
2. Check the Ss the reading ability.
Ask students some questions about the text (Exe 1 on Page115)
Ask the students to give the matching words or phrases to the topics on the Bb. And ask one student to retell the text “Animals in danger” with the help of the info on the Bb.
3. Deal with the other text on Page 53. Ask Ss to find out the timeline of the story and what happened in the following time: Before the trip and During the trip ( At the beginning, after lunch, at the end of the trip)
4. Ask one student to retell this text on Page 53 with less than 10 sentences.
Step III Language points
1. Deal with some difficult points, T teaches the Ss the languages like the following: 1) die out 2) in danger 3) no more than 4) go on an organized trip to 5) purpose 6) go off 7) be busy measuring 8) to one’s joy
2. Play the game to see who can find as many as possible the past participles in the text on Page 53. Then explain the functions of these words.
Step IV Practise
1. Get Ss to do Ex 2 P115. Tell them to fill in the blanks without looking back at the text.
2. Ask one student to act as a librarian in national museum of nature history. And other students to ask some questions about some certain animal, such as Panda:
How many Pandas are in the World? Why they are few? What can we do to protect them? and so on.
Step Ⅵ Homework
1. Written work WB P115. Ex 4. Ask Ss to guess and find the difference between so --- that and so that.
2. Written work WB116 Ex3. And find the functions of Past Participles in the sentences.
1.Suppose you are a scientist and you attend a conference about the pollution in the area you live in. You should prepare a talk about the facts, history and the reasons about the local pollution in different aspects, such as earth, air and water. Can you sum up the most important and serious pollution in your area? (Do you concern about the population pollution?) And do you find the best way to solve these problems? (Such as integrated methods? And international co-operation?)
2.了解中国某一地区的污染状况其发展的原因，解决方法。 如果是重工业城市可以参观某些工厂如化工厂，水泥厂和钢铁厂， 如果是农村则应该参观林地和农田询问公社的气象局和土地办等有关情况。如果污染已经改善则问清楚是何手段和方法，如果没有任何改善则向有关的机构询问解决的可能，并向污染单位建议。最后用英文写一篇小论文。
【Saving the earth】相关文章：
高二英语第九单元 Saving the Earth (拯救地球)08-03